Assembly Bill (AB) 12

Assembly Bill (AB) 12 is the law that extends foster care to age 21 in California. If you are in a foster care placement (Department of Children and Family Services {DCFS} or Probation) on your 18th birthday, you may be eligible for Extended Foster Care. That means you can take advantage of all the services and benefits DCFS and Probation has to offer including support, funding and housing (placement). You also may be eligible for re-entry up to age 21 if you leave foster care after age 18.

What do you need to do to take advantage of AB 12?

Your Children’s Social Worker (CSW) or Deputy Probation Officer (DPO) can give you all the details. However, to be eligible you must participate in at least one of the following:

  1. Completing high school or equivalent
  2. Attending college with at least half-time enrollment
  3. Working at least 80 hours a month (paid employment)
  4. Participating in a program to obtain employment
  5. Unable to participate in one of the above due to a verified medical issue

You also have to:

  1. Be in an approved placement
  2. Meet with your CSW/DPO at least once a month
  3. Sign a mutual agreement and participate in your case plan
  4. Agree to continued court supervision

Under a KinGAP or Non-Related Legal Guardianship?

You might be eligible for Extended Benefits.

For more information, ask your CSW or DPO is your case is still open. If your case if closed, you can ask your Independent Living Program (ILP)/Transition Coordinator.

For a complete overview of AB12, go to

To re-enter foster care under AB 12:

Back to Top